SEA circular stakeholder consultation on Penang’s green initiatives
Date: 26-28 February 2020
Time: 08.30 – 18.00
Location: Paper and Toast, powered by Think City, UAB Building, Georgetown, Penang.
About: The Stakeholder consultation on Penang’s green initiatives: Solving plastic pollution at source is being held to strengthen multi-stakeholder partnerships by applying a people centred approach in managing the plastic value chain in Malaysia.
The Stakeholder consultation is being organized by SEA circular, MESTECC, and Penang Green Council.
The objectives of the consultation with stakeholders are:
- To discuss a collaboration to document a case study on a current 3R (reduce, reuse, recycle) project initiative in Penang Island in cooperation with local government – to demonstrate good practice of 3R interventions and the implementation of circular economy solutions from 2020 onwards.
- To receive updates on Penang’s current initiatives (community and commercial sectors) after implementation of the Waste Segregation at Source (WSAS) policy.
- To nominate the project’s implementation partners and stakeholders in Penang.
- To explore opportunities for collaboration among other initiatives and partners.
9:45am – 10:00am
Overview of the SEA Circular Project
Presenter: Jacqueline Chang, National Consultant, SEA Circular Project: Solving Plastic Pollution at Source, UN Environment Programme at MESTECC
Presenter: Solid Waste Management Unit, Local Government Division
10:15am – 10:30am
Penang Plastic Journey
Presenter: Ms Siti Najihah Che Saad (Penang Green Council)
10:30am – 10:45am
Presenter: Prof K. Sudesh Kumar FASc (School of Biological Sciences, USM)
10:45am – 11:00am
Single-use Plastic and the Marine Environment
Presenter: Prof. Dr Zulfigar Yasin, Centre for Marine and Coastal Studies (CEMACS)
11:00am – 11:15am
Malaysia Plastics Recyclers Association (MPRA)
Presenter: Dato’ Johnson Yoon, Secretary General, Malaysia Plastics Recyclers Association (MPRA)
11:15am – 11:30am
Presenter: Mr Faisal Abdur Rani, Programme Director, Impact Revolution Enterprise
11:30am – 12:30noon
Demonstrate best waste management practices and implementation of circular economy solutions: Case studies and videos
1. Mr Xavier Sebastian, Penang Island City Council (MBPP) – 20 mins and Video as a separate file
2. Ybhg. Dato’ Sr Hj Rozali Bin Hj Mohamud, Mayor of Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP) – 20 mins